Hello folks! I was thinking about sharing some things that you, my dear readers, creatives, journal keepers and friends, may not already know about me that might surprise you.
Are you ready? Okay, here goes.
1. I was an early reader at the age of 4. Mom used to tell me that I was reading out of encyclopedias at that age even though I don't remember that part. I am an avid reader to this day.
2. When they did a scoliosis screening at my school when I was 12, they discovered that I had "uneven" shoulders. Later, when I went to a chiropractor for an exam at 16, Dr. Cantor (now deceased, but so kind and generous when he was present in this world) determined I had double curved scoliosis with an upper curve between my shoulder blades and a curve in my lower back which causes my hips area to be uneven. I am highly functional but I'm not one to go hiking or for long walks. And, of course, it would go without saying that I'm not athletic either (my sister fills that role as previous cheerleader in high school) although I have enjoyed games of badminton, ping pong and miniature hockey in game rooms!
3. I had the dream from the time I was 12 years old to be a recording artist, song writer and guitar player. I wanted to be in a live band as lead singer. I did go on to sing in two different worship teams and even played tambourine in one of them. And I also wrote enough songs for an album. And now I'm back to my music roots once again, singing and enjoying myself. I don't think I have a big voice by any stretch, but it does bring me JOY. (And I'm still waiting for a guitar player to offer to play my songs for me since I never did master the guitar myself. *wink*)
4. I used to copy my sister's homework when I was in elementary school and wanted "homework" like she had. I guess you could say I started "writing" at a young age. And of course, I still take notes on books I read and write reviews on ones that really hit the spot for me. And yes, I am one of those writers who has a novel written but not revised tucked away in a magazine box.
5. When I was in high school and early twenties, I sang solos and duets with my sister and another friend in a church setting (before my worship team experience). Whenever I would finish my one song, I was always raring to go to do a full concert of all my favorite songs.
6. My favorite color is orange red. I also love turquoise, lime green and mustard (or what I refer to as gold). I think my first favorite color was purple, then on to gray, and then khaki green. Now I love vibrant colors (as you may notice in my wardrobe pieces on Instagram!)
7. I absolutely LOVE Miniature Schnauzer dogs. Every time I see one, I get animated and point it out if I'm with others. I think they are so adorable with their cute furry faces! No, I would never want one of my own. I just admire them from afar.
8. I remember meeting an artist one day when I was a youth as I was taking a walk around the block where I grew up. She was drawing a female on sketch paper and the detail was intense and I loved it. I watched her draw a little bit of it as we both sat on a sidewalk bench. She saw how much I adored it and she gave it to me! I was so excited. I took it home and copied it as best as I could. I still have that treasure in my artist portfolio.
9. I was a member at Terrace Lake, a place I grew up at during the summers. They had three different slides, one in the kiddie area, one in the deeper section and one next to the diving boards where it was very deep. The highest slide was 25 feet. After being too frightened to go down that slide at 15 and 16, with the help of two friends (who I still care about deeply), I went down that slide when I was 17! I was elated! (and I enjoyed it on repeat all that summer.)
10. I do NOT like roller coasters, haunted houses or horror movies.
And here's an extra one that applies to my eating habits and my physical well being:
11. I went Gluten Free about 10 years ago due to an issue with iron absorption. I'm always pleased with new gluten free products when they become available for me to try, like mac and cheese, spaghetti, crackers, chips, and cereal. Most of them are either rice based or corn based with either flour or sprouted grain options. I have found the gluten free foods to be easier to digest and I love the taste of the corn and brown rice products.
So, there you go! Now you know a bit more about me! You're welcome to leave a comment below about things I may not know about you! Have fun with it.
And if you'd like to subscribe to get more blog posts in your email, simply sign up! And you will receive 3 Secret Keys to a More JOY-filled Life*!
*you will also receive The JOY Finder and 10 Steps into JOY.
In this video, originally recorded LIVE on Instagram, Dawn shares details on the Contest she is hosting on Instagram only, plus the JOY Filled Activities she includes when you have a JOY Appointment with Dawn! She also shares some music and a word about a contest she entered as a young artist. EnJOY the replay!
If you'd like to schedule The JOY Appointment with Dawn, please click here.
I'm back with another FUN Acronym video, this one for the month of May! I recorded this video directly from my studio space and I'm having a blast sharing encouragement and JOY through my Acronyms to give you food for thought with JOY and Self Care taking center stage.
If you'd like early access to these videos plus exclusive content I don't share anywhere else, you're welcome to sign up! You'll also receive 3 Secret Keys to a More JOY-Filled Life, 10 Steps Into JOY visual and The JOY Finder.
If you'd like to have a connection call with me, click here.
If you'd like to schedule The JOY Appointment, purchase here and schedule here.
If you'd like hand lettered and illustrated visuals for your business brand on your website and for social media promotion. please click here for Dawn's Dynamic Designs: Hand Lettering and Illustration.
If you'd like to check out 7 Steps to Creative Clarity Course, click here.
And if you love to color, check out Dawn's Life Directives and Affirmations Coloring Pages with Prompts.
Dawn engages in many roles: As Writer/Blogger and Artist/Creative and Founder of Refresh with Dawn Herring: Where Art and JOY Align, She enjoys sharing from her vast experience as award-winning, life-long artist and leader in the field of written journaling, offering encouragement and proven tips to other journal keepers. Dawn's focus is on written journal keeping, artistic expression and finding your Creative Voice, and positive change that leads personal empowerment, encouraging you to leave your authentic and positive mark in the world. Dawn is a Commercial artist, hand letterer/illustrator and writer/blogger and enjoys sharing insights, humor, and encouragement as she shares from her life experiences as a woman, wife, mother of two grown daughters and as a Grandparent to a special needs grandson. She enjoys keeping a journal and reading spiritual texts to help keep the light on. May JOY Align with Your Creative Heart.
All 2016 2017 2018 2019 5 Minute Refresh Acid Free Card Stock Acronym Appreciation Artists Art Journaling Art Journal Prompt Authenticity Autism Awareness Back To School Birds Birthday Body Language Brayer Change Clothing Collage Color Contentment Costume Creative Conversations Creative Expectation Creativity Creativity Is A Gift Decision Making Design Doodle Dynamics Doodle Prompt Emotions Fabrics Facebook Live Video Family Fashion Filling Your Creative Well Food For Thought Fresh Perspective FUN Generosity Gift Giving Gretchen Rubin Halloween Handbag How Curiosity Can Enhance Our Creativity How To Gain Clarity In Challenging Situations How To Recognize Illusion When You See It How To Recognize New Growth Illustrated Birthday Doodle Illustration Interview Intuition Jewelry Jill Winski JournalChat Live #JournalChat Live OPEN HOUSE Journaling Journal Prompt Joy JOYFest Layering Layering With Watercolor Listen To Your Intuition Memoir Merry Christmas Mindset Mix And Match Mocking Bird Modeling Paste Movie Review Music Nurture October Oil Pastel Patterns Periscope Broadcast Physical Well Being Place Refresh Daily Audio Refresh Daily Book Review Refresh Daily Interview Refresh Daily Movie Review Refresh Daily Podcast Refresh Daily Product Review Refresh Daily Rewind Refresh Daily Video Refresh Intensive Refreshment Refresh With Dawn Herring Self Care Sketchbook Sleeveless Blouse Staying Present The Art Of Journaling The ART Of JOY The Birthday Wall Video Watercolor Why Documenting Your Life Is Important And Beneficial Winsor Newton Watercolor Markers Work Habits Working With Card Decks Your Authentic Path Your Creative Center Your Creative Practice